September is back-to-school month. In recognition of the joy of learning, we're offering up some enticements for MarkLogic and XQuery community folk to go learn something new (or for some, re-visit something old).
I've listed a handful of open-source syntax-highlighting projects below that are missing support for XQuery. And attached to them, you'll see listed rewards (Apple iPads, O'Reilly online book subscriptions) that can be claimed by producing the missing piece(s) of code that would benefit our community.
|Github||Github is lacking support for XQuery. They use Pygments (a python framework for syntax highlighting) and need a Pygments Lexer. See this brief note.||
|Google Code||Google Code uses google-code-prettify and it is missing support for XQuery. A first step here would be to provide a patch that supports these. Bonus points would be to get the project to take in the patch.||
|GNU Source-highlight||GNU C++ highlight library
||1 year subscription to|
There are some helpful starting points, too. The following tools do have XQuery support:
- Eclipse XQDT
- vim and emacs
- DQ (See also this thread of conversation back from March earlier this year.)
If you're interested, read on. The process of claiming a bounty is relatively simple.
- Let us know you're going to work on it by sending an email to the MarkLogic developer list with the words "bounty hunting" in the subject and your name and the specific bounty in the body of the email. At that time, we also recommend your searching through the list to see if anyone else is working on claiming your bounty.
- When you're done, send a note to the MarkLogic developer list with a pointer to the code, docs, and any other relevant artifacts.
- Entries will be judged on completeness, accuracy, quality, and other standard metrics for software tools. At the end of the month of September, we'll evaluate all entries and choose a winner for each bounty. In the event of a tie, the entry that was received first wins. Judges' decisions are final.
- Everyone (including MarkLogic employees, but excluding me) is eligible to participate.
- Bounties unclaimed at the end of the month may roll over to the following month.
Help us out and go claim your reward!