[XQZone General] slackware/linux help wanted!

Nick Lanham nick at marklogic.com
Thu Jun 16 15:41:27 PDT 2005

I've had good luck using alien (http://www.kitenet.net/programs/alien/)
to install Mark Logic Server on Debian.  I can't speak to slackware, but
alien supports going to the tgz format, so you have a pretty good
chance.  Let me know if that doesn't work for you and perhaps we can
work something else out.

Nick

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 15:31, Howard Katz wrote:
> I'm hoping I can find somebody willing to give me a hand installing 3.0 on a
> slackware system. I've primarily a windows person. I can get around linux,
> but it's painful.
>
> I have a Java servlet-based front-end UI that talks to an Academy Awards
> database I've built that I'm writing about for xml.com. Part I of the
> article was pretty popular (at least, that's what they tell me. :-) To date,
> I've been using my own open-source query engine for the backend, but if I
> can move it over to Mark Logic 3.0, that would give me a great tool for
> coming up to speed with the Mark Logic server and would give the company
> some great publicity, since I think the article's going to do well and
> there'll be a lot of traffic at the site.
>
> In any event I don't think this is something I can do on my own. The support
> people at my web-hosting service (Kattare: I recommend them highly btw) say:
>

> "The central issue is that we don't run an RPM based distro of Linux.  Mark
> Logic, since they've chosen to use RPM packages, have somewhat excluded many
> of the more popular linux server os's. So we have to kind of trick the rpm
> installer (which we do have) into ignoring the fact that there are no other
> RPM base packages installed on the system.  There are command-line arguments
> to the 'rpm' command that should get it going down the right path."
>
> Anybody out there up for giving me a hand? Help! :-)
> TIA,
> Howard

        Nick Lanham
        Software Engineer
        Mark Logic Corporation
        2000 Alameda de las Pulgas
        Suite 100
        San Mateo, California 94403
        +1 650 655 2320 Phone
        +1 650 655 2310 Fax
        nick.lanham at marklogic.com
        www.marklogic.com

This e-mail and any accompanying attachments are confidential. The
information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of
this e-mail communication by others is strictly prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by returning
this message to the sender and delete all copies. Thank you for your
cooperation.