[MarkLogic Dev General] cts:highlight performance

Peter Hickman peter.hickman at semantico.com
Wed Jun 13 06:13:13 PDT 2007

We are using cts:highlight to, er, do it's thing with a document. We
then take the highlighted document and locate the first result to build
a context for displaying in the search results. The problem is that with
some large documents the highlight can take quite some time (40 seconds
for a large document against 0.01 second for a typical document). Given
that we are not making any use of any of the highlights but the first it
would be useful to have a parameter to cts:highlight that limits how
many it does.

Given that this parameter does not exist does anyone have a suggestion
as to how we might achieve the same result? We are looking at splitting
larger documents up but they might not get significantly smaller.

--
Peter Hickman.

Semantico, Lees House, 21-23 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 3FE
t: 01273 358223
f: 01273 723232
e: peter.hickman at semantico.com
w: www.semantico.com