[MarkLogic Dev General] Excluding elements from search

Danny Sokolsky dsokolsky at marklogic.com
Mon Jun 18 15:30:51 PDT 2007

Hi Peter,

Yes, Fields (new in 3.2) are a good way to get the behavior you
describe. You can create a field and include the element "document" and
exclude the element "authors".  This will include everything under
documents until it gets to a descendant that is in the excluded list
("authors" in your case).  If it then encounters another included
descendant, it will include that until it finds an excluded one.

Then you can query the field with cts:field-word-query.

The Administrator's Guide has a chapter (Chapter 10, Fields Database
Settings) describing how to create a field and how the include/exclude
logic works.

Hope that helps,
-Danny