[MarkLogic Dev General] xpath string construction

Eric Palmitesta eric.palmitesta at utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 14 10:07:39 PDT 2008

Wow, thanks for the reply, Michael.  I'll probably be using some
variation of one of your examples.

Michael Blakeley wrote:
> Many people ask about sequential ids. It is possible to model an id
> sequence as a database document. But as with RDBMS sequences, there are
> serialization penalties. I don't see the advantage of sequential ids, so
> I rarely, if ever, use this approach.

Assuming the recursive check isn't feasible (it doesn't scale well), the
advantage of sequential ids is being able to sleep at night knowing
collisions are simply impossible, and are not reliant on a 'good-enough'
random() function.  I'm nit-picking of course, I'm sure random() is
fine.  :)

Cheers,

Eric