[MarkLogic Dev General] more record loader questions

Michael Blakeley michael.blakeley at marklogic.com
Thu Oct 30 15:19:02 PST 2008

Alan Darnell wrote:

> Is there a way to send errors up from "load.xqy" and the modules it
> invokes to record_loader so that we can see what's happening in
> simplelogger.log?

No, but you can call xdmp:log() in your module. I'd recommend logging
the value of $URI. Then you can use grep on ErrorLog.txt to extract a
list of all the URIs that your module has processed. With some creative
use of awk or perl, you should be able to determine exactly which
documents are problematic.

Since your module evaluation sounds fairly complex, you might want to
add more logging to trace that evaluation.

> Can we change the logging in record loader so
> instead of reporting periodically on the records loaded, it reports a
> status for each record loaded?

Yes, by setting LOG_LEVEL=FINE. You'll see a number of extra messages
for each insert, but the crucial one is:

30-Oct-2008 3:32:17 PM com.marklogic.recordloader.AbstractLoader insert
FINE: inserting sample-medline/11981951

You should also see a message for each file that is queued. That might
help you determine whether some files aren't queued, or your module
isn't handling them as you wish:

30-Oct-2008 3:32:16 PM com.marklogic.recordloader.DefaultInputHandler
handleFiles
FINE: queuing /home/mblakele/space/medline/sample-medline.xml

It would be nice if the queuing code wrote out a message when it
finished queuing all files, with a count. I'll look into adding that,
but meanwhile I think you can get some useful information with the
existing functionality.