[MarkLogic Dev General] Facet using cts:search() result

Justin Makeig Justin.Makeig at marklogic.com
Tue Aug 24 04:52:06 PDT 2010

Jonna,
Welcome. The Search API (i.e. the functions that use the “search” namespace prefix by default) is a higher-level abstraction above some of the other built-in APIs, including Core Text Services (“cts”). It provides conveniences like Google-style query parsing, pagination, faceting, and context-sensitive result snippets out-of-the-box. Like the underlying APIs, the Search API is designed for performance at scale. If you’re just getting started, I’d encourage you to begin with the Search API. As your application requirements (and MarkLogic knowledge) grow, you can take advantage of the rich customization and extensibility hooks built into the Search API.
If you haven’t already, I’d encourage you to read the “Search Developer’s Guide” <http://developer.marklogic.com/pubs/4.1/books/search-dev-guide.pdf>. Section 2.2.2, for example, includes a chart comparing the Search API constraints and facets with their equivalent cts:query and lexicon calls.
Again, welcome and please feel free to contact me with questions and/or post them to this discussion list.

Justin

Justin Makeig
Senior Product Manager
MarkLogic Corporation

email  justin.makeig at marklogic.com<mailto:justin.makeig at marklogic.com>
web    www.marklogic.com<http://www.marklogic.com/>

This e-mail and any accompanying attachments are confidential. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this e-mail communication by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.