[MarkLogic Dev General] How to balance forest sizes when adding new cluster member

Michael Blakeley mike at blakeley.com
Tue Aug 21 11:07:17 PDT 2012

For most purposes I think https://github.com/mblakele/task-rebalancer is better. It uses xdmp:document-assign, so documents will end up in their "natural" forest.

Note that the placement algorithm uses the order in which forests are attached. So if you detach and reattach forests, xdmp:document-assign may change its idea of where a document ought to live. I find it best to keep the forests attached in alphabetical order, so that the behavior is predictable.

-- Mike