[MarkLogic Dev General] search:search() - show phrase results first

Michael Blakeley mike at blakeley.com
Mon Mar 12 15:47:26 PDT 2012

Push back on that rule. The whole point of TF-IDF relevance ranking is to put the most relevant documents first. Trying to subvert that does a disservice to your users, and will frustrate you too.

If a phrase match truly is more relevant than a word match, then TF-IPD ranking probably *will* show the phrase match before the word match. But if the word match turns out to have a higher score, let it appear first. Your users will thank you.

-- Mike