[MarkLogic Dev General] Lax validation recursive checking

Mary Holstege mary.holstege at marklogic.com
Wed Mar 14 14:24:11 PDT 2012

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 13:33:59 -0700, Will Thompson
<wthompson at jonesmcclure.com> wrote:

> It's my understanding of the spec that during lax validation of a
> document where the root element doesn't have a definition in the schema,
> it will recursively check children and attempt to validate the ones that
> are defined. It seems to skip validation for this scenario on my
> document.
>
> The main schema is no-namespace, but it imports two namespaced schemas.
> I can successfully validate any individual descendant that has a
> corresponding definition, but if I start at any ancestor it returns from
> validation without error (I have a <break-me/>-type element in the
> schema for testing).
>
> Is there something I could be missing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

Lax assessment on the root isn't exactly the same as assessment
against a lax wildcard. You are right, if there is no type
definition found for a particular element, we don't keep going
to look for definitions for the children.  For wildcards we will.

//Mary