[MarkLogic Dev General] Problem in making use of cts:not-query()

Sudheer Yalaverthi sudheer.yalaverthi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 13:48:28 PDT 2012

        <id>333</id>
        <subjectList>
            <subject>C</subject>
            <subject>C++</subject>
            <subject>Oracle</subject>
        </subjectList>
    </user>
</userdetails>

I have a requirement where i should pick this Xml from the DB if there is a
user entry with branch as"CSE" and id =222 and it should not have "C" as
subject.

If i write a additional query something like below for search:search()
cts:element-query(
      xs:QName("user"),
      cts:and-query((
      cts:element-value-query(xs:QName("id"), "222"),
      cts:element-attribute-value-query(xs:QName("user"),
xs:QName("branch"), "CSE"),
      cts:not-query(cts:element-value-query(xs:QName("subject"), "C"))
      ))
)

This is not turning me up the results. The only one scenario this query is
gonna return back the result is if none of the users in the DB has the
subject as "C". but this is not i am expecting. I know there is one user
element which satisfies all the conditions and other user elements which
fail these connditions. I want to retrieve the Xml even if one of the user
element passes all these conditions irrespective of other elements pass or
fail. Please suggest me.
I am using search:search and i can not avoid this as i have some other
requirements to sorting the result Xmls.

Thanks,
Sudheer