[MarkLogic Dev General] cts:sum-aggregate returned incorrect result

Lien Suandy lhsuandy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 15:49:02 PST 2015

I'm testing the cts:sum-aggregate function on a database with 100 million
documents.  There exists a range index for an element, num, I used for this
test.

Evaluating this:

cts:sum-aggregate(cts:element-reference(xs:QName("num")))

This returns the result

==> 832,332,413  (: commas inserted for viewing :)

Since I know that num falls in the range of 1980 - 2010 and I know every
document in the collection has exactly one 'num' element.  I expect the
result to be around

200,000,000,000

I also verified by running the DEPRECATED function, cts:sum

cts:sum(cts:element-values(xs:QName("num"), (), ("type=int")))

The result from cts:sum is what I had expected:
 ==> 202,695,795,325 (: commas inserted for viewing :)

I also did another test in a smaller database, here, the cts:sum-aggregate
function gave the correct result.  Can someone explain?

Thanks,

Lien