[MarkLogic Dev General] Marklogic hosting options?

David Lee David.Lee at marklogic.com
Thu Jan 7 17:07:02 PST 2016

1) by 'storage' I presume you mean the main database storage ?  To do that would require using a network filesystem of some sort (HDFS , NFS, GFS etc) and a remote server cluster hosting the FS.
ML does support S3 for native storage but it does not support transaction journaling ( due to limitations on S3 ).

Depending on your network connectivity and 'devices' between you and AWS the performance will vary - but you cannot break the speed of light wrt  latency.   Without a local caching component I can't imagine a performant configuration.

Depending on the rationale and requirements for this, and your budget -- this is such a component:
https://aws.amazon.com/storagegateway/

It’s a 'appliance' like a SAN that caches to S3.
I don’t know of any tests with this device but it has the necessary features.

2) Best left to the networking experts (wrt SAN).   My non-expert thoughts on this is that SAN is designed to be accessible by multiple nodes,
if you only have 1 node per SAN why not just directly connect the disks ?

3) "Same DataCenter" is less important than latency and bandwidth.
Nodes in a clusters perform better if they are 'close' to each other wrt to networking latency.

An example where this distinction matters is on AWS in a given 'Region'  (say us-east-1) there are 5 "Zones" comprised of > 10 'datacenters'
Network latency between nodes in different zones is less than the latency from the CPU to a local hard disk.  ( approx. 2ms ).
(general reference)
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/using-regions-availability-zones.html
http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/18666/AWS-Regions-Availability-Zones-and-Edge-Locations-explained.html

Our 'white paper' recommended architecture for AWS for a 3 node cluster is to have each node in a different zone in the same region.
This gives you good fault tolerance with minimal if any performance degradation.
Region to Region latency however is much higher -- limited by speed of light -- (and # of hops etc).  10ms-100ms or more

Here's one example (just google for 'aws region latency'
https://shaun.net/posts/speed-and-latency-between-aws-sydney-and-other-regions

Between geographic regions ML I would recommend separate clusters using foreign replication.  The protocol is designed for larger latency connectivity.

4) -- ( not on list )
"On Premise" and "In Cloud"  isn't always orthogonal. You can provision your datacenters with high speed 'Direct Connect' connections to AWS and logically join the networks.   This allows you to view the whole system as one network and migrate workloads and services as you see fit.
https://aws.amazon.com/directconnect/