[MarkLogic Dev General] declare XML namespace

Kari Cowan KCowan at alm.com
Thu Jan 28 05:50:01 PST 2016

I may be going about this wrong, but I was trying to insert the xml marker above an RSS feed return:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Returns error> [1.0-ml] XDMP-UNEXPECTED: (err:XPST0003) Unexpected token syntax error, unexpected Version_, expecting Comma_ or Rpar_ or SemiColon_

Seems like a common thing that would be desired, but my websearch didn't find the answer.  Any tips here?

if ($returnRSS) then (
  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <rss version="2.0" xmlns:sailthru="http://www.sailthru.com/rss-extension">
   <channel>
   <title>{$this_partner} Events RSS</title>
   <description>See Upcoming Events presented by {$this_partner} </description>
   <link>http://www/need/to/map/a/path/to/event/hubpage</link>
   {$outputRSS}
   </channel>

  </rss>