[MarkLogic Dev General] Is xdml:unquote appropriate for handling accent characters?

Kari Cowan KCowan at alm.com
Thu Feb 9 10:53:54 PST 2017

We stored in the doc as:  Pokémon

In xQuery I retrieve with
let $theTitle:=$doc//ir:HEADLINE/text()

That returns as:
Pokémon

How can I return it as Pokémon instead of Pokémon?

From: <general-bounces at developer.marklogic.com> on behalf of Christopher Hamlin <cbhamlin at gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 9:44 AM
To: MarkLogic <general at developer.marklogic.com>
Subject: Re: [MarkLogic Dev General] Is xdml:unquote appropriate for handling accent characters?

It's still unclear (to me) what is going on.  Here's some stuff I'd try:

Is the title in the ML db?  If so, it's been parsed and stored as UTF-8.

The query console can be complicated since it is goes through layers and is friendly in its output.

You can check the data by getting dumping out the xml to disk and inspecting via whatever you might use for that.  Just use xdmp:save.  Then you know how things are in the db.

Then, if you are going through an appserver, just do the request and store the result.  Again, check things out on disk.  Look at the headers returned and the payload.  Is the returned 'stuff' OK in an XML editor?

If that's OK, then what is parsing the return and choking, and why is it choking?