[MarkLogic Dev General] Why Would FlexRep Pull be Dramatically Slower Than Push for Same Database and Server Pair?

Eliot Kimber ekimber at contrext.com
Thu Jan 25 18:47:16 PST 2018

I have a pair of ML 9 servers.

On the master server I have a domain with a target configured with a docs per batch of 100 for a database with about 380K docs coming in at about 3GB reported by the ML status page.

When I use FlexRep push to another server with an empty database the push takes about an hour to 2 hours depending on time of day (and thus overall network traffic).

When I use FlexRep pull to pull from master to the remote, it takes about 9 hours.

What would account for this time difference? I'm guessing it's that the pull process doesn't use the docs/batch setting (which if I manually set it to 1 for a push also results in about 9 hours).

As it happens, I don't need to use pull as I can use push just as easily, but I was just curious about the time difference and whether it's an inherent aspect of FlexRep pull, indicates a bug, or could be some configuration error on my part (but I don't think so since the target configuration is the same in both cases--the only variable is pull vs push).

Cheers,

Eliot
--
Eliot Kimber